20.4 C
Perth
Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Judge Rules In Favor Of Meghan Markle In “Invasion Of Privacy” Case

A judge in the U.K. has ruled in favor of the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle in a lawsuit filed against a newspaper that published a personal paper she wrote to her estranged father right before her marriage to Prince Harry.

In publishing that letter both in print and online, the judge said that the newspaper invaded Markle’s privacy. The Duchess of Sussex sued the publishers of Associated Newspaper over what she says is “invasion of privacy and copyright infringement”.

The judge, Mark Walby, ruled that the newspaper “misused the duchess’s private information”. The articles were published in the newspaper and online in February of 2019.

Meghan Markle, a former actress, married the British royal and grandson to Queen Elizabeth in 2018. The marriage has not been smooth sailing, but the Duke and Duchess of Sussex seem to be weathering the storms.

Grateful for the ruling, the duchess said that the court has done the right thing by holding the newspaper publishers accountable “for their illegal and dehumanizing practices.”

The letter was meant for her father’s eyes only but somehow got to the press. Last year, Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit royal duties due to the media intrusion and racism pervasive in the British media and are currently living in Santa Barbara, California, with their 2-year-old son, Archie.

In a statement she released after the ruling, Meghan Markle says that the media should realize that celebrities are real people with real lives, real relationships, and real sadness. About the media, she says, “The damage they have done and continue to do runs deep.”

Related Articles

Subscribe to get the latest from us!

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles